TheHolders.org

The Holders Wiki Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 pm 

If you don't abandon it...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 pm 

Well I Would do it, But I am A campaigner, not a Manager, so i Could MAKE it but I could Only HELP maintain it.
is there someone who would be willing to help?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 pm 

Well I Would do it, But I am A campaigner, not a Manager, so i Could MAKE it but I could Only HELP maintain it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 am 

As I said, I can try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:07 am 

Hello, new user here. Being new, it'd probably help if I briefly explained how I got here. It involves probably the single most convoluted and unlikely series of events to ever occur, but here it goes...

A few days ago, I was in the middle of browsing random levels in a game with custom music (you might be able to guess which). I randomly came across a level with a song of a special name, so I loaded it in and played it. As I saw later when looking it up on Newgrounds, it turned out to be a pasta-inspired project, so I headed over to the pasta wiki and read it. I started clicking to random pages, then came upon my first pasta from Holders. I read it, thought it was pretty well written, then went back around and was stunned by quality of other things. I then happened to come back to another story from this, and was like, "Hold up, maybe I want to read more of these." I headed over to the website, saw that it was somewhat dated (very much so, now that we're back in the 20's), and went ahead, being one of those people that is difficult to deter by pure datedness. (For reference, I was standing up an IRC server a little while back, despite being born in the third millennium.) I sort of fell in love with the series, and after finding a bug and noting it, I'm sitting here, typing this.

As for promotion, the most likely to be effective option would be to stand up some sort of social media presence. The platform to use depends entirely upon your target audience, so it might not be unreasonable to use multiple platforms. Starting with increasing presence on pasta-related sites seems like an obvious first step, but I would advise caution -- poor writing could put someone off the series entirely, so we would really only want to put our best Objects forward. I read that previously people have tried to stand up Discord servers to promote it, and while I applaud the motion (and have followed suit myself), I doubt it will attract people to stay, due to the datedness of the site. Facebook might attract fewer people, but these might end up being far more loyal than the Discourse (what I am calling the DC audience) -- being more appealing to older users means that Facebook might attract people more willing to forgive the site. An IG or SC page is more or less out of the question unless the site becomes active on a level apparently unseen thus far. Twitter would also prove to be a flawed medium, as the constraints of such a page would be rather restricting and may end up detracting from the community. Reddit doesn't actually seem like very much of a bad idea; the forum-like style of it may make a good step up for this site and/or act as a place for people to post prospective Objects and Holder stories. This may also result in the increase of quality of stories, which can hardly be a bad thing.

Perhaps we could use Wikia to set up our own creation service -- sysop would have much less to worry about and beyond the copy-pasting and other things, I think the transition would move rather smoothly. A separate idea would be to run GSites as a sort of front end that might require high maintenance, but would act as a pre-promoted way to push the site. Gamepedia would likely prove to be the most ideal third-party service, due to its general visual similarity to this, but would likely be hurt by the forced login through Twitch; unnecessary, to say the least, in this case.

As for myself. I might lose interest in the series after only a month, then become a person who makes occasional resurgences, but in the meantime I truly do want to draw people in and create more activity on a site with such potential. I would love to get people started on almost any of the things mentioned above.

TheVoice wrote:

It seems like we may make a good team if we worked together, but searching for one to be in for the long haul is indeed worrying. It may be best to just not worry about it and get started.

--

A lost soul wanders endlessly through the dark, drawn towards a source of pain which it must feed from, and in feeding grow it stronger, revive it and turn it into a fountain of youth!