TheHolders.org

The Holders Wiki Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:38 am 

First: Shame on me. I know I should have been more attentive. Lesson learned.

The Wiki

I have restored things to the way they were. This is not a good long-term solution, because the way things were, they got screwed up. Here are what I see as the main problems with the current state of TheHolders.org:

1. Hard to reach the webmaster (me)
  2. Vulnerable to spambots (forum AND wiki)
  3. Old, clunky wiki software
  4. No support for internationalization / translation (I've been contacted by people wanting this ability many times. Shame on me).
  5. Small, static support staff.

For a long time, I wanted a MediaWiki for TheHolders.org - like WikiPedia has. It would solve all of those problems except #1!

The things that stopped me from doing that were:
  1. PHP5 was not the standard back then, but MediaWiki needed it.
  2. Uncertainty over how to attach stories from the old wiki to user accounts on the new wiki
  3. I would have to write MediaWiki plugins or hacks to duplicate the Holders-specific features (series list, etc) that we have now.

Well, time marches on! PHP5 is now the standard. I'm even running a MediaWiki on one of the other sites on this server!

I still don't have a perfect answer for #2.

I'll have to just bite the bullet and take care of #3 - but #3 does not have to happen before such a move.

I think it's a good idea. But I need to hear what the community thinks.

The Forums

phpBB is old software. It's not necessarily bad, but it is old. Should we move the community to another platform? Possibilities include

1. A sub-reddit
  2. Some other free forum software
  3. Keep it as is

I'm inclined to stay with the phpBB. I do need to do some work to get our traditional dark blue theme up to speed with the new anti-spambot measures, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 pm 

Honestly there is a lot to say about what there is to do, or what can be done. Sadly, you'll have to give me a day or two to get some time to post out what I think.

Good to see that you are alive sysop! You had us worried at times!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:48 pm 

Aw yissss theHolders is back.

Also, is it just me or does it look like a lot of the series entries have been deleted or replaced? I can't find familiar ones, the new ones look and sound wrong, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 am 

Hooray for the return of the Glorious Sysop! Prepare for the showers of eldritch unknowingness! That said, I fully support any movement for the recreation of a Holders Series, though from what I can recall KingFisher went off and now there's a whole "Gen II Reboot" movement going on with its own site and whatnot.

That said, I fully support anything new to the table!

Hello! I am ZacksQuest. I am a somewhat-experienced Fear Mythos member, and now I wish to try my hand at the first horror internet series that ever caught my eye! I'm a little cautious, so I'll wait and see first. : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:42 am 

Finally there's something been done. I missed theholders.

Quote:
now there's a whole "Gen II Reboot" movement going on with its own site and whatnot.

We moved there because of spambots. Now, I think, those who still interested can go back here.

And well...
Quote:
phpBB is old software. It's not necessarily bad, but it is old. Should we move the community to another platform? Possibilities include

A sub-reddit
Some other free forum software
Keep it as is

The forum we made for this genII stuff is almost empty, and I honestly don't need it. Maybe, if all of us want it, we could use that forum. Somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:25 am 

I'm glad to see that this is getting worked on again. I'll have to fix that TVTropes remark about the site being...torn apart. I had the Internet Archive in one hand and theholders.org in another, and was trying to fix a lot of the spammed pages, but I quickly learned that pages were getting edited multiple times per minute (and sometimes per second) by the bots.

I don't know if I can contribute anything, creatively speaking, to this wiki, but I wouldn't mind spearheading a rewrite with the end goal of making sure all of the objects don't read the same way. A lot of the Legion objects seemed to have a unique way about them, and I'd like to borrow some of those elements.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:18 pm 

I like the idea of re-writing a lot of the objects, provided the originals are still archived somewhere - which would not be hard.

This would be especially easy to do if we were moving, say, from the existing wiki into a new wiki - paste the old story over, save, then edit. BAM - original story preserved, re-written story deployed.

I've also devised (in my head) a little mod to MediaWiki that would allow authors to maintain "creatorship" of stories after they'd been pasted over in a mostly self-serve manner. So I still have two critical things to do to a MediaWiki before we could use it, but I think that is the way to go for now.

I've also got some wacky Captcha ideas bouncing around.

A note on this forum: I learned from previous websites when I launched TheHolders.org and did not initially provide a message board or other community resource, instead waiting until there was a community demanding (asking for?) one.

We're kind of back in the "early days" again in terms of community as a result of the spambots and resets, so I think the wiki will be a little dead for a while. That's OK, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 am 

Since we are back in the “early days”, I feel like we have the opportunity to do something significant to recreate interest. Perhaps we could go through with the Gen II idea and allow users to post-brand new Objects under the guise that there’s been an “Object Shift” in-canon (or really anything else allowing the mass posted of new content, preferably with increased quality standards). Just my two cents, anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:44 am 

And I still think that we should forget about genII for a while. There are stories there with good ideas, but written poorly. If some of us have an idea of how to improve it, why not to try so?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:24 am 

Hey I still want to be a part of this, sorry that I'm terrible at keeping contact. I have to move in the morning but I'll make a point of dropping by here before the end of the week! I'm really sorry for the delays!