TheHolders.org

The Holders Wiki Discussion Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please keep discussion of individual stories on that story's "Discussion" page.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 am 

Welp. I've been doing Holders translations for like... 5 years, I believe. Primarily, I posted them in my blog, but now I decided to make a separate blog for them. Me and my friend (she just posts stories when I'm not around for whatever reason) try to post regularly, however, there's still a lot to post. I already finished the translation of the stories of the main list and Legion's Objects, and what to do next... I just don't know.

Sooooooo... if you speak the same language as me, feel free to join, comment und so weiter? I just don't know what else I can say.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 am 

Very cool. I can't read or speak Russian, but it's nice to see the Holders translated.

As for the future, I think the best thing to do would be to encourage people to post stories to these forums. At some point down the line it may be a good idea to create a wikia site (which can be done for free) to host new stories, although we'd need quite a bit of new content to justify this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 am 

Welp, I wrote like 4 or 5, and a friend of mine wrote one. Should I tell her that I can try to translate her story?

And as for wiki... well, as you remember, I tried to host a rather big website for Holders and eventually we all ended up being here. Not sure I'll succeed for the second time. But I can give it a shot. In the future. Don't know exactly, when.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:51 am 

Yes, that would be good. I can provide some feedback once it's posted.

As for the standalone website, I was thinking of something much less ambitious than the attempt at the second generation. Ideally, these forums would still be used by the Holders community to critique submissions, while the website could be used to display approved stories. This has several advantages. First, we won't split the community in the event several old members become active again. Second, theholders.org is linked to from a large number of creepypasta websites, which has resulted in a number of new members after years of inactivity. Continuing to use the forums means we keep this advertising. Third, this cuts down on workload since the website will be for display purposes rather than to house a standalone community.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 am 

Well, I got her permission. I'll start translating her story just as soon as I finish editing some stuff I wrote on my vacation. And there's... quite a lot of stuff.

Actually, that sounds pretty good. But I don't even know whether I would be able to manage it. If only there was someone else who wouldn't feel so much as I that they ruined the entire community and wasn't so afraid to ruin it again...

By the way, what do you think I should translate next? I already finished the main list and the list of Legion's Objects. There's still quite a lot, and I simply don't know what to take.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 am 

Good to hear; it'll be nice to read some new content. As for what to translate next, I would reccomend focusing on some tales. Some of the Jack empty (http://theholders.org/?Jack) tales or Edo Edi Essum (http://theholders.org/?Edo_Edi_Essum) tales may be a good place to start.

I can probably create something on wikidot over the next week or so. I'm starting law school in the fall, so I'm not going to be able to dedicate much time after the summer. However, my hope is that this will provide some new life to the community and allow for the display of new works. (Also, don't blame yourself for the current state of the Holders community; four years of the main site being locked is what harmed the community).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:11 am 

Well, I think I'll begin with Jack. I already translated one tale about him quite a while ago because when I told my friends about him, they started to like him and wanted to read something about him. So I just had to, even though I personally hate Jack. But he's so friggin' popular that I'll do that. Thanks anyway.

Why not? And I can try to be on charge, because I'm not sure whether I'll manage to obtain my master's degree and enter the university onse again or not. So anyways I'll have a lot of time.
Ah, good to hear. Anyways, people who used to be with me could've been still there, but they just became a bunch of online buddies and left.

By the way, does anyone want to see my Holders fanart? I'm quite an artist, y'know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 am 

Hi.
I've been reading this awesome series for a while :)
I don't speak Russian however I'm from Poland and would be happy to translate the main series to my language.
How does it sound like?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46 am 

Hi there! Happy to see new members on this [almost dead] forum.

As for translations, it'll be awesome. But y'know... I'm a professional interpreter, but even for me it was a bit hard in the beginning. And there's... quite a lot of stories. Buuuuuuuut if you don't abandon it, we all, I beleive, will be very happy. So I can only wish you luck =)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:20 am 

The_Holder_of_Beer: That would be really great. I would personally reccomend starting with the Holder of the End and then branching out to the Objects listed on the Featured Story page(http://theholders.org/?Category:Featured_Stories). There are well over five-hundred holders objects, so being strategic about your translations, especially when you're starting out, may be a good idea.

Taneli: I'm interested in seeing your fan art.