TheHolders.org

The Holders Wiki Discussion Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please keep discussion of individual stories on that story's "Discussion" page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:04 am 

Alright Gentlemen and Ladies. We have some work to do.

Almost all of the spots are filled so we got to weed through them. One or two of us cannot do this alone, so I ask everyone who can to help out. Even if you can only help a little, that's enough.

So this is what needs to be done:

Step One:
Tell me that you are working on this, I would just like to know how many people are actually helping out, so we can lessen the work everyone has to do. This can be done at the same time as Step Three if you are fast.

Step Two:
Flip through the series pages. Random button is the best for this. Find anything that doesn't match our criteria in anyway. Be ruthless. Besides The End, none of the stories are sacred, so go through the first hundered especially carefully, cause most of them do suck now. They were once good. But now need work. Stories that are Featured can be left out of this aswell.

Step Three: Post the story name and reason here. Tell me reasons why you think it needs work, and if it can be fixed, or if it should be just edited. Do not do the edits yourself. (See next step) Do not remove the Object number. I will take care of that.

Step Four: Offer solutions. Do this on this thread aswell. I want to keep the site clean of this for now, and it's easier to track. If the problem is spelling and grammar, tell me you are going to do it, so I can cross it off the list, then do it. (This is why you should not do edits before putting the story up here, then I don't know if it's been done or not. If you'd like to do the edits, then make note of the problem, say you have taken care of it.) If it's not spelling and grammar, post an idea of what you want to do it, and if no one else wants to go for it, go ahead and try it. This is not only to make sure only good ideas pass, but also to make sure two people aren't working on the same thing at once.

Step Five: New content. This is the most important one to follow instructions with. If you have a full idea for a new Holder, email it to me. That way we won't have even more chaos, because as soon as slots open, more shitty stories will come in, and if I have good stories available to put in as I delete stories, all the better. Make sure to add what number you'd like (more than one if you can) and why.

I will post a second post to list all of the stories that are posted here that need work. I know this will take awhile, but it has to be done now.

Hopefully by Halloween, we will have an even better roster of stories to look at.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 am 

List of Holders that need work and why:

538 - Journey -Heavy revising needed, doesn't fit the rest of the series, requires other objects.

The Holder of Silence: Great idea as for the Object, needs a little more work if anyone is willing to do it. (Torodugoru is working on this one)

Holder of Carelessness:Interesting idea, needs cleaning up though.

(Will keep as up-to-date as I can.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:20 am 

I agree. In fact, I wouldn't even altogether object to a MASS purging of Objects (like in the vicinity of 50% or greater). Most of the activity has been in Those Who Seek, and the Series List has gotten painfully stale. We need fresh meat. I would even suggest possibly mixing it up a little as a suggestion for new authors. Such as making hints that the instructions aren't absolute (see Denial) or that Objects actually do come and go sometimes (see Usurper). Another suggestion: No more duplicate Objects. 1 Book, 1 Key, 1 Sword, etc x538. It would be interesting to think up 538 unique Objects.

One way we can possibly do this is by having people claim a range of the Series to look over and revise, so that we can make it go as swiftly as possible, without too many people looking at the same stories.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:19 am 

As you can see I'm very new here, but I'll try and help out if I can.

I think 538 - Journey is in dire need of work, if not outright scrapping and replacing. For one, I don't like the idea of having to have every Object before doing it, it ruins the entire concept of picking a random Object and trying it out that makes the series captivating. That's not to say it can't require an Object. While the part about telling the story of getting the Objects is actually interesting, and as someone mentioned on the discussion page, reminiscent of a Holder's tale, Seekers are still human. Oh sure, they're incredibly potent humans who have potentially warped minds after a few rounds, but they're still not mystical beings (barring Legion, Balance, et al, but they're noted as being special). I know someone will disagree with me and say that the Objects should be difficult to get, but Journey isn't difficult, it's just an exercise in ridiculous amounts of rote memorization at its core. Finally, the whole "Your journey is over, unless you choose to remove the barriers; then it has only begun." thing doesn't fit well to a user-edited web series. It reads like a struggling author trying to ensure his next book will get published.

I do think that being Object 538 it should diverge from the formula just a tad (but not wildly), I'm drafting two potential ideas right now, but they're completely unrelated to Journey. I'm guessing that touches upon Step 5 rather than Step 4 though. If anybody really wants I can also try to fix Journey, though I make no promises.

I don't want to sound like I'm slamming whoever wrote it, the concept is interesting at its core and could be worked with if it was modified. It may actually be something to shelf and retool as a Seeker or a Keeper tale rather than a Holder. Say a Seeker who got all 538 and was interrupted when he tried to bring Them together for example.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:45 am 

I'll Start out working on the Holder of internal feeling, and I'm in for the long haul, so count me in.

Edit: I'm just going to go through and fix all the spelling/grammer and such for the needs revising stories, then i'll post which ones I think should be saved or removed. That cool?

Last edited by MasterDisaster on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 pm 

MasterDisaster wrote:
I'll Start out working on the Holder of internal feeling, and I'm in for the long haul, so count me in.

Edit: I'm just going to go through and fix all the spelling/grammer and such for the needs revising, then i'll post which ones I think should be saved or removed. That cool?

It would be, but I think it's not as helpful as I would wish it to be, as everything will be done on this thread, so we don't have to dig through the needs revising page (everything in there rots anyways). I'd rather you work on stories in the series, which you can still do the same job for, but you just have to let me know, so we don't have too many people going over the same story.

Also I've already fixed that problem, and like I predicted, there is already another story in its place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:59 pm 

I'll start on one through one hundred or so as soon as I get home.

Also, idea: You know how FML has a "moderate the FMLs" page, where any user can go and decide which ones are good and which aren't? How hard would it be to create something like that here? If the story you write has "The Holder of..." in the title, then it would be entered in a page like that, where it would shuffle through potential stories, and anyone who wanted to could say yea or nay. That way, anyone could still submit anything they wanted to, but now everyone is also engaged in controlling the quality of what gets submitted.

Does this sound like a good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 pm 

While we're fixing the nitpicky stuff there's something I think might be worthwhile to tack on to spelling and grammar - title standardization. As of now some pages are titled as The Holder of <whatever> and some are just Holder of <whatever>, this gets confusing when trying to wiki-link to an article and looks a little sloppy. This is probably a little more difficult than spelling since it requires you to re-reference the Object number to the new title, unless we want to change all the non-standard ones to redirect pages. Which format should we go with? I'd say The Holder of <whatever>, simply because that's how The Holder of The End's page is titled, I also think the word "The" makes the title flow better when read, but that's preference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 pm 

Jsor wrote:
While we're fixing the nitpicky stuff there's something I think might be worthwhile to tack on to spelling and grammar - title standardization. As of now some pages are titled as The Holder of <whatever> and some are just Holder of <whatever>, this gets confusing when trying to wiki-link to an article and looks a little sloppy. This is probably a little more difficult than spelling since it requires you to re-reference the Object number to the new title, unless we want to change all the non-standard ones to redirect pages. Which format should we go with? I'd say The Holder of <whatever>, simply because that's how The Holder of The End's page is titled, I also think the word "The" makes the title flow better when read, but that's preference.

I would have to agree with that, and that's how I will be fixing stories as we go through them. Unless anyone has any objections.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 pm 

Alrighty then. To work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next